Amerikaner braucht Hilfe mit Teilen für ein PE 2040

• Amerikaner braucht Hilfe mit Teilen für ein PE 2040
    Hallo, ich spreche kein Deutsch und ich benutze Google Translate, bitte verzeihen Sie die schlechte Übersetzung. Ich habe kürzlich zwei Plattenspieler vom Typ PE 2040 erworben. Ich hatte vor, die zweite für Teile zu verwenden. Allerdings habe ich beide aufgeräumt und nach viel Arbeit funktionieren die Autofunktionen auf beiden gut. Das erste klingt wunderbar, aber die zweite Einheit hat ein schlechtes Brummen. Ich erwäge, die Bleidrähte und RCA-Verbinder zu ersetzen. Ich hatte viel Glück mit Mogami w2534 Draht. Würde jemand von Ihnen eine andere Vorgehensweise empfehlen? Ich hoffe, dass die Drähte innerhalb des Tonarms in Ordnung sind.
    Teile sind hier in den USA sehr selten und die zweite Einheit hat keinen Patronenschlitten. Würde jemand von euch wissen, wo ich einen (oder zwei) finden könnte?
    Vielen Dank
    Bob

• Hello Bob,

welcome to the board!
    I am not quite sure whether the headshells of the 2020 and the 2040 are identical but i think - judging by pictures - they are.
    User "Dennis R." offers an assortment of headshells in the For Sale-section of the board, have a look:

Diverse Systeme und Einschübe Dual / PE

A hum is usually a ground problem coming from either bad RCA connectors or corrosion on contacs in the headshell or the receptacle, the arms wiring seems to hold up quite well over time.
    They develop a bit of resistance over time (and for me, that's a reason to replace them) but as long as the resistance is below 1 Ohm and equal on both channels, it's not a real problem.
    Do yourself a favor and do not take apart the arm itself.

Did you clean the contacts of the breaker switch underneath the turntable (it shorts the signal leads to ground during operation of the mechanisms) ?

Alex

Deutsch für die Mitleser:
    - Sind die Headshells von 2020 und 2040 identisch? (Denn in den VK-Anzeigen wird gerade eine 2020 angeboten)
    - Masseprobleme
    - Kontakte in Headshell, Tonarmkopf und Kurzschließer reinigen
    - Arm nicht zerlegen

Dauerspieler:
    JVC JL-B44 / Sumiko Blackbird Lo / Kenwood KR-7070 / Linn Isobarik
    Technics SL-1300 / Sumiko Blue Point Evo III Lo / Kenwood KR-7070A / KEF Celeste II
    Saba Dorchester 16 Musikmöbel (1965 Saba Freiburg 15M, Dual 1019, TVV47, Pickering V15 AT2)

• I am not quite sure whether the headshells of the 2020 and the 2040 are identical

They are identical, the 2040 is an 2020 only sold in US under a different name

• Thank you both!
    I had a feeling that the 2020 and 2040 were the same. The manual for both are the same and the mechanical undersides seem identical.

Alex, I did spray Deoxit (electrical contact cleaner/conditioner) on the contacts in the headshell but I need to try and clean them with a cotton swab. (or another preferred method?) I also sprayed Deoxit on the muting switch and I did swab that to try and clean it after spraying. Is this the "breaker switch" you referred too?
    I am interested in knowing more on how best to test for resistance. Is it best to place the muti-meter probes underneath at the solder connections ?

I will reach out the Dennis R for his 2020 carrier.

Once I have this second unit sorted I will build a new plinth from solid maple and construct a new dust cover from acrylic. I always seem to have more projects lined up than time required. :)

Bob

Enjoy the Music!

• Bob,

a cotton swap soaked with a contact cleaner like Deoxit is the first move to get clean, low resistance contacts.
    If the deoxit can not remove the black oxidization your second option is a glass eraser pen.
    These are basically an abrasive in a pen-shape.

Be careful though:
    The glass fibres break and leave debris everywhere and that stuff likes to sting into fingers, feet and everything. Wear eye protection.
    Have your vacuum cleaner running and the nozzle next to the part you are cleaning to clean up the scene right away.

Yes, i was referring to the muting switch.

Personally, i measure resistance from the contact surfaces in the headshell receptacle to the signal or ground contact on the rca connector.
    Keep in mind that the muting switch needs to be open to do that.

I am using a decent quality multi meter in it's lowest resistance mode setting and see what it says.
    Mine does not show lower than 0.1 Ohms and that's good enough for me.

Add up the resistance of the headshell itself, sometimes the wires develop a "higher" (single digit Ohms) resistance.

Dauerspieler:
    Technics SL-1300 / Sumiko Blue Point Evo III Lo / Kenwood KR-7070A / KEF Celeste II
    Saba Dorchester 16 Musikmöbel (1965 Saba Freiburg 15M, Dual 1019, TVV47, Pickering V15 AT2)

• Thanks Alex. I tested the leads. It seems I definitely need to change them out. And I will continue to work at cleaning the heashell contacts.
    I will report back soon.
    Regards,
    Bob

Enjoy the Music!

• Thanks Alex. I tested the leads. It seems I definitely need to change them out. And I will continue to work at cleaning the heashell contacts.
    I will report back soon.
    Regards,
    Bob

While you're investigating in that particular area of the turntable, have a look at the crimped headshell wiring.
    These might go bad (they do in Dual turntables, why shouldn't they in PEs).

Dauerspieler:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.