Dual TG29 - worth it?

• Hi,

I’m about to buy this tape machine for € 50 in local ads.

It looks fantastic, but is it a worthwhile repair?

Is it even good at all?

I can get the service manual in French.

Thank you 🙏

Jacques

• Hi Jaques !

Apart from the usual "one-motor-units" problems like slow wind and rewind, meddling with belts and a slightly higher noise in idle it is quite a good machine.

It has three heads and offers real playback control during record (monitoring) other than the ealier TG28.

I reworked a few and apart from a belt kit, some cleaning and greasing - and changing the capacitors (either RIFA "boatlikes" or ROE "garbage cans") it is quite easy to deal with.

The service manual "on our server" is in english at least.

TG29S

:)

Peter aus dem Lipperland

Solo mio, vendro unscrupuloso, custombres sansaclu.

• Hi Jaques !

Similar - but a tad more simple. The whole construction is pretty much well thought out, lacks - mainly - complicated parts or other engieering marvels and even the electronics is pretty much straight forward. You don't need a degree in rocket science to come around with it. Originally it is a Schaub Lorenz design, further developed by Dual and - IIRC - even built by Schaub Lorenz for Dual.

The tape machines did not take off in Germany very well due to problems with Duals largest customer: Grundig.

He judged them as a competition for his vast line of old and outdated tape recorders which used pretty much the same structures up into the 80s.

So Dual sold most of the TGs in foreign countries like Canada or USA.

I personally would judge a TG29 as favourably suited for a beginner in tape recorders. Its simplicity helps a lot and most of the units had a rather relaxed life and even the heads are not that much worn out. In the rare case of a damaged pinch roller something from the Grundig stockpile may come as a substitute. It has the same shaft diameter and roller diameter but lacks a few millimeters in height - which can be solved with a few thin washers under and over the roller. Other than that ... no problems.

If the casing and the front panels are in good order a purchase should be considered. The printing on the front is - unfortunately - not much abrasive-resistant and dissolves under use of alcohol. Under rare circumstances the VU-meters cease to work. They do work only during recording anyway, but sometimes they fell apart internally due to the glue getting brittle. I had that once that one meter did not work and had the coil / spring broken. But a replacement was available from this forum.

And - be warned: the open running, sharp edged cooling fan atop the motor is nearly invisible under lamp light when operating the unit without front panel.

It's nickname is "finger slicer" .... ("Tested for you !")

Peter aus dem Lipperland

• Oh! I’ll be cautious then. ^^ The machine is mint and wasn’t used much it seems. Anyway, thanks for all the invaluable information you provide.

That Schaub-Lorenz built the machine then explains why I couldn’t identify the motor!

The owner also has the CV40 and CT16 for sale, as well as an equally nice 1019. Perhaps I should grab the lot.

Jacques

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von chartz ()

• Hi Jaques !

Perhaps I should grab the lot.

It were a *not exactly* period-matching combination, but a good choice of components anyway.

The 1019 phased out in '71 latest, while CT16 & CV40 were just yet new. But could have been purchased together.

The TG29 however belongs to the era of the 1219 / CV120 / CT18, so it was a later addition (I wrote "addiction" first ...) to an existing set most likely.

Not bad non the less if the price is okay. The CV40 is a robust design, good sounding but with some design failures regarding the loudness ("Contour" as Dual names it) and it is not very linear. Maybe that makes its unique sound ? The CT16 is a solid tuner for the time being - quite mediocre after 1990 or later standards, but it does the job.

The 1019 ... well ... "The Iron Pig". You either hate or love it but it is a massive built unit which is fairly easy to maintain and keep alive. It has way the largest amount of all-metal parts of all Dual turntables before and after. The platter alone weighs 3.5 Kilo.

Let us know about your decision ! You can't - most likely - not justify a purchase with logical reasons. It is fandom or addiction or the "want to have" factor in most cases.

I know what I am talking about ... filled my 60 square meter storage with *Tons* of gear. And "To have is better than to need ...".

Peter aus dem Lipperland

• Hi Juniper!

I know the feeling!

The lot is quite cheap, so… ☺️

It was supposedly all bought together back then.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von chartz ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.