Dual 1219 turntable dragging needle across LP in Multi-mode

• Hello everyone, first post here I believe. I hope it is OK to write in English (I do not know any German, sorry :\ ).

I'm currently working on a 1219 (I believe it's a 2nd-gen unit, it says 'single' and 'multi' instead of 's.p.' and has the raised lift adjustment screw) which I have made some progress on - namely, I fixed an issue that was caused by a thin metal lever having snapped out of its place, fixed the steuerpimpel, and more recently replaced the single-multi rubber grommet, so everything is working properly now.

More or less. Actually what is happening is that the unit works perfectly in Single mode, but when I switch to Multi it stops lifting the tonearm. By this I do not mean the early-production units that had no cueing in Multi-mode; no, this is something malfunctioning because the turntable will literally DRAG the stylus across the LP. I have tried a couple of the arm height-related adjustments but none of them seems to make a difference.

I cannot picture what might be wrong. Hopefully one of you will be able to help me?

Thanks!

D

• Hi !

The 1219 is a tad sensible against false Steuerpimpel length and bad lift rod adjustment.

The symptoms you'd described sound a bit as if the main control lever hasn't fully disengaged from the the arm mechanism and drags it inwards while cycling inwards until the automatic reaches neutral position again. With this the arm is going to try reaching the settling point for 17cm records - at about half the diameter of a 30cm LP. You might check the length of the Pimpel. It should have an excess length of about 1mm above the metal pin it sits atop.

That's the one part. The other is the lift rod and its top screw.
    In multimode it needs to be adjusted to a gap of 0.1 - 0.2 mm between top screw and arm lifter plate - which equals a difference of 0.5mm at the headshell with the main control lever engaged. Means: while the automatic process is running and the control gear lifts the main control lever to the "up" position. With turning the lift rod top screw you should be able to set the arm height properly in relation to the arm rest as shown in
    http://dual.pytalhost.eu/1219s/1219s-08.jpg

Hope it helps a bit. Currently I am at home and have no access to my 1219s in storage.

Peter aus dem Lipperland

Solo mio, vendro unscrupuloso, custombres sansaclu.

• Thank you so much, Peter. I'll take a look at what you describe and let you know how it went. Kindest!

• Hello again.

Peter (or anyone!) sorry to keep bothering you but could you explain to me exactly what part #54 on the service manual does? It's called 'locating screw' but I am not sure just what it affects.

Could you please help me out?

Thanks!

• It is for adjusting the clearance ratio of the pick-up.

MfG
    Stefan

CT 19 NB, CV 121 NB (schwarze Front), C 919 S, CK 6 NB 1209 M71/M91 (im Wechsel), CS 741 Q (Anthrazith) MCC-120, CS 601 NB M20E, 1228 in WEGA 3231 Grado XG

• Thank you. What I'm not sure I understand is the difference between that and adjustment (212), the one that is right under the lift piston.

• The difference is, that the lift piston is changeable in the height by this regulating hull. The other screw is for regulating the bearing of the pick-up in the base.

MfG
    Stefan

CT 19 NB, CV 121 NB (schwarze Front), C 919 S, CK 6 NB 1209 M71/M91 (im Wechsel), CS 741 Q (Anthrazith) MCC-120, CS 601 NB M20E, 1228 in WEGA 3231 Grado XG

• Ah, I see. So in a way, adj. #54 would be a VTA adjuster of sorts?

Thank you very much.

• No, it has nothing to do with the VTA, the screw is only for the bearing internal clearance.

MfG
    Stefan

• I see. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how this needs to be adjusted (I'm afraid I fiddled with it hoping it would fix something, clearly it hasn't), could you possibly help me here? Does this adjustment only have an effect in Multi-mode? From what little I do understand of the service manual, it appears to interact, as far as adjustment goes, with adj. #212 (lift piston).

Thanks again for your patience.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.