American needs help with his PE 2020!

• Hi Benjamin,

with "pulley" you mean the part that is exactly on top of the motor's spindle, right?
    Have you already opend and lubed the motor?

Yes, the brass pulley that spins with the motor, though I guess "pulley" isn't the correct word in this case since it isn't a belt-drive turntable! And I did already remove the bottom bracket on the motor to add a little lube to the end of the spindle and the bearing it touches. It's working fine now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it stopped again.

Best,
    Matt

• Hi Matt,

i was not shure if you mean the rubber wheel.
    OK so the motor sometimes won't turn. Have you lubed the bearing underneath the pulley, too? Are you shure that the motor always becomes power, when it should? Otherwise maybe the power switch or the mechanics that actuates it is not working correctly.

Greetings
    Benjamin

Plattenspieler in Verwendung: *Dual 1019, 1219, 1229, 1249, 701 "MK1", 721* *Perpetuum Ebner 2020 L* *Kenwood KD3100* *Hitachi HT-500* *Elac 50H* *Philips 312 Electronic*

• Hi Benjamin,

I did lube the bearing underneath the pulley, too. Fortunately, the problem seems to have gone away. I've played several records and the motor has worked every time. So I'll just hope that it doesn't act up again!

Best,
    Matt

• That sounds good, Matt :thumbup:

Hope that your PE now runs without problems for a long time.

Greetings
    Benjamin

Plattenspieler in Verwendung: *Dual 1019, 1219, 1229, 1249, 701 "MK1", 721* *Perpetuum Ebner 2020 L* *Kenwood KD3100* *Hitachi HT-500* *Elac 50H* *Philips 312 Electronic*

• Dear All,
    This is my firs post. I have two PE turntables 2016 and 2020.
    Could you please explain what are you using as replacement for:
    Abrol OiL?
    Apex grease?
    Molykote?
    Thank you for the help.

• Hello Giedra,

welcome here!

For Abrol Oil you can use a standard engine oil e.g. 10W-40.
    For Apex grease and Molykote you can use a universal lubricating grease.

Maybe Matt can tell which greases he has used.

Greetings
    Benjamin

• Thank you for the answer.

• Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

For those areas needing Apex grease and Molykote, I used a white lithium grease called Lubriplate https://wbcindustrial.com/lubr…be-general-purpose-grease

For the Abrol oil, I actually tried a few different things depending on the area. I have some oil for the capstan motor on my Otari reel to reel deck that I used on my PE 2020 motor and some fishing reel oil on the other areas indicated in the service manual. That said, you can't go wrong following Benjamin's advice and using the motor oil. I've used Quaker State synthetic 10W-30.

Matt

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.