• I think that the plastic would withstand most greases. Because it's made for that.

Be shure that the grease is acidless, then it should be allright.

Greetings
    Benjamin

Plattenspieler in Verwendung: *Dual 1019, 1219, 1229, 1249, 701 "MK1", 721* *Perpetuum Ebner 2020 L* *Kenwood KD3100* *Hitachi HT-500* *Elac 50H* *Philips 312 Electronic*

• Thank you.

I tried Liqui Moly LM 47: http://www.liqui-moly.de/liqui…duktdb.nsf/id/e_3510.html

This added some strong sand noises (there's no sand there for sure))). And it's too dense... Platter made just 2 turns after motor stop. Perhaps this grease is better for heavy weights and bearings, not to such a delicate thing.

Then I changed it to White Lithium Grease made for bike chains and everything - that's much much better, almost silent - but platter does 3 turns after stop. It's dense too!

When I used motor oil, patter did about 20 turns after stop!!!

I don't know if higher dense bad for the bearing and for overall load to the motor. What do you think?

I use phonendoscope (sticking it to the spindle) while I did this all - I hear some periodical mechanical noise (hhh-hhh-hhh) once per platter's turn - maybe I should try another bearing too. Visually it is fine, but....
    However, this sound is invisible with the speakers.

• Hi Vital,

how much turns the platter makes after the motor stops isn't such important.
    I don't think that the motor etc. can be damaged by grease which is too dense. Perhaps your bearing has very low clearence (spindle) and so thick oil would be better. But grease will do the job, too. Grease generally is used by applications with high forces and low speeds. Oil for greater speeds.

The Liqui Moly looks good, but when it adds noise then it's useless for your PE. Maybe that comes from the additional MoS2.

I use phonendoscope (sticking it to the spindle) while I did this all - I hear some periodical mechanical noise (hhh-hhh-hhh) once per platter's turn - maybe I should try another bearing too. Visually it is fine, but....
    However, this sound is invisible with the speakers.

The ball bearing is never noise-free... that lies in the construction. A low audible noise is normal (i polished my washers and noise is still there), and when you can't hear it in your speakers, all is fine.

Greetings
    Benjamin

Plattenspieler in Verwendung: *Dual 1019, 1219, 1229, 1249, 701 "MK1", 721* *Perpetuum Ebner 2020 L* *Kenwood KD3100* *Hitachi HT-500* *Elac 50H* *Philips 312 Electronic*

• You're welcome!

Have fun with your PE. And when you have got more questions - you know where to ask ;)

Greetings
    Benjamin

• Nice recordings, Vital.

Your PE works really quiet :thumbup:

Greetings
    Benjamin

• I left that white lithium grease on the platter bearing - it became less dense next day. After few days platter still quiet enough and do 5-6 turns after turn off... Motor Oil was not that good - platter became more noisy next day.

I discovered that metal cones under the turntable changes sound much, especially in basses. They are more solid, faster, exciting. Move it out - bass become boring and slow...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.