Dual CV 1460

• Hello everybody.

Ich spreche kein Deutsch, also werde ich einen Übersetzer benutzen. Am Ende finden Sie die ursprüngliche englische Nachricht.

Ich habe ein Problem mit meinem Dual CV 1460. Auf den ersten Blick funktioniert alles gut, aber irgendwann habe ich bemerkt, dass die Qualität und der Pegel des Tons auf dem rechten oder linken Kanal niedrig ist. Ich konnte herausfinden, dass das Problem behoben werden kann, wenn ich die Balance von einer Seite zur anderen bewege. Die andere seltsame Sache ist, dass Balance nur in der Randposition funktioniert und nicht die Lautstärke den ganzen Weg linear senkt. Es tut sich nichts, wenn ich den Balance-Knopf bewege, bis ich das Ende erreiche und dann wird der ganze Kanal eins.

I thought it was a problem with the balance controller itself, but when I opened the device and measured the resistance, it changed with the movement.

Do you have an idea where to start looking for the cause of the problem?

The device is probably in a very original state, it doesn't look like someone has changed or repaired something.

Thank you very much.

-----------------------

Hello.

I am not speaking German so I will use translator. At the end you can find the original English message.

I have a problem with my Dual CV 1460. Everything works fine on the first sight but sometime I have been noticing low quality and level of sound on right or left channel. I was able to find out that moving with Balance from side to side helps to fix the problem. The other weird thing is that balance is working just in the margin position and do not lower the volume the the whole way linearly. It does nothing as I move Balance knob until I reach the end and then it turns whole channel one.

I thought that it would be a problem with Balance setter it self but when I opened the machine and measure resistance on it it is changing with movement.

Do you have an idea where I should start to look for the origin of problem?

Machine is probably in very original state, it does no look like somebody was doing some change nor fixes.

Thank you very much.

• Hello,

what happens if you desolder the balance control potentiometer completely?

Best regards!

Mein Plattenspieler ist nicht defekt. Er dreht sich nur nicht.

• I did not try to desolder anything yet. I was trying balance potentiometer directly on the board. I know that it is no giving me exact numbers of resistance but AFAIK it gave me info that the potentiometer is working. Do you think that potentiometer can be still faulty and it will be testable desoldered or you want to find out how desoldered potentiometer changes behaviour of the amplifier? Just asking to know what I should test when I desolder it.

• The latter one. Anyway, you also might bridge the potentiometer's hot ends and report.

Best regards!

• Ok, I will try and will report the result. Anyway usually amplifier works and weak level on one or both channel appears randomly from time to time which means that I am not able to tell what actually happened after desoldering/bridging. I have a feeling that maybe I described it unclearly. So I will just try it one more time if we understand each other.

1. Turn on amplifier, everything is ok.
    2. Listening, turning off
    3. Turn on amplifier different time, left channel is weak.
    4. Moving balance from side to side, channel are equal, listening.

This is the one issues. The other is clear as it is just about balance is not working for equalization, it can just turn off one of channels.

• hello,

A simple potentiometer is built into the CV1460 for balance purposes, which optionally short-circuits the left or right channel to ground. Your error looks like this potentiometer is mechanically defective. The axis that is being rotated no longer takes the wiper correctly with it, it gets stuck somewhere.

It will be best if you simply remove the potentiometer. If the amplifier then runs properly with two equally loud channels, it's the potentiometer. To be on the safe side, you can still measure whether the resistance between one end and the wiper changes continuously between zero and maximum when turning, or whether it remains constant even though you keep turning.

Unfortunately, spare parts are no longer available, the only options are cannibalizing another CV1460, repairing the potentiometer, or mechanically adapting a standard potentiometer.

Greeting Frank

hallo,

beim CV1460 ist für die Balance ein einfaches Potentiometer eingebaut, das wahlweise den linken oder rechten Kanal mit der Masse kurzschließt. Dein Fehler sieht so aus, als ob dieses Potentiometer mechanisch defekt ist. Die Achse, an der gedreht wird, nimmt den Schleifer nicht mehr korrekt mit, er bleibt irgendwo hängen.

Das Beste wird sein, Du baust das Potentiometer einfach mal aus. Wenn der Verstärker dann einwandfrei mit zwei gleich lauten Kanälen läuft, ist es das Potentiometer. Du kannst zur Sicherheit noch messen, ob sich der Widerstand zwischen einem Ende und dem Schleifer beim Drehen stufenlos zwischen null und Maximum verändert, oder ob er irgendwo konstand bleibt, obwohl Du weiterdrehst.

Ersatzteile gibt es leider keine mehr, die einzigen Möglichkeiten sind, einen anderen CV1460 auszuschlachten, das Potentiometer zu reparieren, oder ein Standard-Potentiometer mechanisch anzupassen.

Gruß Frank

• Hello,

grinder = wiper ;) . Anything else is correct.

Best regards!

• seit Jahrzehnten vergessenes Vokabelwissen trifft auf Google Translator :saint: . Ich hoffe der gute Willen zählt ;) .

Gruß Frank

• Aber gewiss doch, Frank :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: ! Andererseits ist ein grinder im Angelsächsischen ein Powertool, siehe z. B. angle grinder = Winkelschleifer, vulgo Flex, und könnte bei ihm somit durchaus für etwas Verwirrung sorgen ;) .

Beste Grüße, Uwe

• habs korrigiert, und Du kannst sicher sein, dass ich nie mehr vergessen werde, was Schleifer auf englisch heisst. :saint:

Gruß Frank

• @ the OP: What did you do eventually? What was the outcome?

Best regards!

• So I desolder the potentiometer and it looks fine. Resistance is changing continuously with moving. It is hard to try amplifier when it is disassembled. I tried but I have a feeling a was facing the issues. So I think potentiometer is fine and the change of resistance it is able to do, somehow fixes the problem. Do you have and idea what can be wrong that change of resistance do something? Maybe wrong capacitors or something?

• And how does your amp behave without that potentiometer? Do both channels sound equally loud?

Best regards!

• It is the same as before desoldering the pontentiometer. So sometimes I turn it on and both channels sounds equal, sometimes one of channel is weaker. Before desolvering it was enough to try move with balance knob and it fixed the problem somehow.

• What happens if you wiggle the input selector?

The input selector switch is a weak point on the CV1460.

Greetings Frank

• Hi, so after some time I had a time to do something about the amplifier. It looks like wiggling with input selector makes no difference...

• hello, it's hard to diagnose over the internet. If the simple stuff isn't enough, you need a schematic, signal-tracing equipment, and at least basic electronics knowledge, or a helper with electronics knowledge. Everything else is just looking into the crystal ball.

Greeting Frank

• Of course I understand it. I have basic electrotechnical skills, multimeter and RLC meter. Oscilloscope is something I can borrow. Schematics I have also, checked it but not smart much as it is obviously complex thing. Are you willing to lead me where to start? Otherwise I will try to replace capacitors and maybe some part I find on the forum that are usually faulty or strained.

• What happens if you bridge the volume control pot wipers, and subsequently it's hot ends??

Best regards!

• What happens if you bridge the volume control pot wipers, and subsequently it's hot ends??

Best regards!

I will try it and let you know. In advance I would like to order and change all electrolytic capacitors so I need to order it. Does anybody have a list of all of them because in the service manual I can see values only in schema...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.