Few problems with Elac 750II turntable

• Hi all
    I am new member here from India. I recently bought this turntable from eBay Germany. The condition is almost mint. I am facing two issues.
    1. Buzz from motor. Whenever I press start button, buzz starts. I cant hear it from speakers, but only from motor. I am using the TT with dust cover closed while playing. this helps to reduce noise coming from motor. What could be the issue?
    2. I am not able to align the cartridge to the point provided on TT. Cart is not sliding inside headshell. It's fixed and the screw does nothing.

Regards
    Sachin

• Hello Sachin,
    1. if not already done:
    at first, take off the platter, turn on the turntable, and put the wheel a bit away from the Spindle of the Motor. Now you can hear, if the buzz is from the Motor or, if you put the wheel against the Spindle again, if it's the wheel.
    2. sometimes the plastic srew thread of this headshells are broken. This is not repairable. So the Screw in the front ist out of order. Put a drip of oil (only a drip) on the slider and slide it manually carefully in both directions. If the srewthread isn't broken, same wit a drip oil on the slider, wait a time and carefully srew the srew in both directions.
    sorry, my english is unfortunatly not that good.
    Regards
    Andreas

Gruß Andreas

• Thanks Anders
    I already did the first step. The buzz is coming from motor itself.
    I will put a drop on plastic slide and post.

Regards
    Sachin

• Hi Sachin, thats good news.
    If the motor itselfs does the loud buzz, you have to overhaul it. Dismantle in pieces, clean it, clean and oil the bearings and put it together again. I'd never overhaul this kind of motor, so I can't give you further tips. Perhaps some of the others here have some more tips.
    regards
    Andreas

Gruß Andreas

• Any idea how should I access the motor? Should I open it from top or from bottom? I couldn't find the service manual for this TT.

Regards
    Sachin

• Hi Sachin !

I'm more a Dual expert ... but I recall that they used two different motors in the line of players.
    The older one that looks a bit like something from a vacuum cleaner and the square dark grey "brick".

For the removal / disassembly of the motor you might come away with the Miracord 50H manuals available from VinylEngine.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/elac/miracord-50h.shtml

To download these you need to register at vinylengine - but that's easy, useful and they don't sell their customers data (they're not facebook ...) :D

In either case you most likely need to remove the motor and take it apart as Andreas already suggested.
    It might be a bearing issue (or a lack of oil in it respectively) but for proper servicing you need to take the motor apart - which hasn't been done throughout the lifetime of the unit as I would guess. Call it experience. No one takes the motor apart for preventive maintenance. They wait until it starts making noises.
    Then they sell the unit ...

^^

Peter aus dem Lipperland

Solo mio, vendro unscrupuloso, custombres sansaclu.

• That's Great!

Grüße... Lutz alias Lu

>>>Umarmungen am Tag<<<

4x zum Überleben

8x zum sich gut fühlen

12x zum innerlichem Wachsen

• Thanks Abi

nice work. i have saved the PDF. My motor is actually different. Yours seems to be Hysteria motor. It did find out the cause of problem. my motor has two coils, one of the coil vibrates inside motor casing when the motor starts, so it produces buzz. I placed very thin plasic packing between motor case and coil, and buzz is almost gone. It still buzzes, but very low compared to earlier. I don't know why the coil vibrates. It has a very little play, but enough to creat buzz.

I ran into another problem. My turntable speed is 33.3 when dial at 45RPM and I need to dial 78 to get 45 RPM speed. I tried adjusting idler wheel height from underside of TT, but couldn't do it. Any suggestion?

Regards

Sachin

• I did run this problem after working on motor from underside. I tried adjusting pulley, but it's not moving up or down, fixed very hard. Is there any way removing the pulley? I don't see any grub screw of any kind.

Regards

Sachin

• Dear Sachin

If there is no grub screw, it sounds to me your motor is slightly different. Without knowing it 100% you may follow the advise in the original article.

Best abi

• Hi Abi

It's a 2 coil PE motor, made in West Germany. I am able to adjust the pulley with the help of screwdriver. I had to fix the screwdriver underside of the pulley and pushed upward. It adjusted to correct speed. The motor gets very hot after 15 mins and again becoms noisy. I feel because of heat plastic packing becomes loose so the motor starts vibratng and creating noise. i need to fit some very thin metal packing like razor blade to get rid of the issue.

Here are couple of pics of my motor

3W3Zfkp.jpg

oY0A2Nl.jpg

Regards

Sachin

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von sachu888 () aus folgendem Grund: Ein Beitrag von sachu888 mit diesem Beitrag zusammengefügt.

• I am able to solve the buzzing. It had a PE motor, and one of the coil was making loud buzz. It was little loose in metal casing, so I placed a small thin razor blade piece coated with wood glue. It worked for approx 10 mins. It used to buzz again as soon as motor becomes hot packing get loose again. It had no issues running cold, so I removed the packing and put 2 drops of Fevi quick(instant super glue) between motor frame and coil casing. It totally cured the buzzing problem.It has been 15 days and no noise. The motor temperature remains 58 degree after running it continuously for two hours.

Regards

Sachin

• Dear Sachin

Congratulation, that's what this hobby is all about. Technic & Music.

Best abi

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.