Anything true in this?

• First and foremost sorry for the english.
    Secondly, something I stumbled upon on audiokarma:

"
    Still, a well-maintained dual provides very good sound and value for money. Getting rid of the spring mounting of the chassis that is going down to a heavy plinth doing the same to the bass response, tightening it up and getting rid of that overflowing."
    Anything true on that?
    [/quote]

• Still, a well-maintained dual provides very good sound and value for money. Getting rid of the spring mounting of the chassis that is going down to a heavy plinth doing the same to the bass response, tightening it up and getting rid of that overflowing."
    Anything true on that?

I haven't heard anything like this before. Getting rid of the spring mounting means a fixed Chassis without any Suspension
    but perhaps a few shock absorbing turntable feet? I think this is a real disadvantage, but I haven't tried it.

Gruß
    Michael

-----

• Hi !

Anything true on that?

Some people are very much convinced on that "solid mounting", but it has some major downsides from which "tap sensibility" is the most important. If you fix the (heavy and metal-stamped) chassis in a console you get a perfect resonator on the low end of the scale down from maybe 40 Hz. I would think that the original Dual consoles are *not* suitable to do this anyway. This and inappropriate positioning on a shelf or a furniture along with an instable floor construction will surely get you into a feedback latest in the subsonic area.

Apart from that you get a problem with motor and mechanism noises. They are reflected from the bottom of the console and may disturb the sound anyway already if you happen to have a noisy motor. Neither the early cardbord-like nor the later thin plastic bottomplates are good sound-deafeners. But if console and chassis are connected tightly to each other the negative effect on that is way stronger.
    You need to decouple the console in first place from the floor and the direct sound path towards the speakers. And from the dust cover if it is fixed to the console with hinges and you don't want to fully take it off at any time.

So - *exactly that* is, what the springs under the chassis do and what they were intended to do.

You need to have an eye on "minor mishaps" however: the fixing screws need to be fully turned in towards the chassis so they will not rattle inside the holes or got stuck under the console frame. The springs need to be seated properly in their counterholes *and* you need to pay attention that the internal plastic guides are not damaged and hamper the spring function. Finally the guiding of the internal wires needs to be correct. No loops, no hooks, no tight fit or cables being stuck between chassis and console. All of that leads to acoustic feedback again - sooner or later.

^^

Peter aus dem Lipperland

Solo mio, vendro unscrupuloso, custombres sansaclu.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.