Pe10 Snm 9 Smm 9

• Hello,
    I have a PE Rex with a PE10 cartridge that I am restoring at the moment and I am looking for the right replacement needle.
    I have combed the internet and found many different offers, but these have lead to more confusion.
    From what I have learned, the PE10 uses an Elac SNM 9 needle. Later a SMM 9 needle was produced, however both used sapphire tips.
    As far as I can conclude a diamond tipped version was never produced.
    Some companies describe the snm 9 as having one microrille (stereo) tip and one Normalrille (mono) tip.
    The SMM 9 has two microrille (stereo) tips.
    However I have found one company (pickupnaalden.nl) advertising there SMM-9 product as having one Sapphire(stereo) and one diamond (stereo).
    I have written them an email asking if this is true.
    Now my question, is a diamond needle going to make a difference (other than having a longer life) on a PE10 cartridge?
    and what is the physical difference between an Microrille M tip and a Normalrille N tip anyway?
    Thanks
    Lucas
    P.S. Antworten in Deutsch, Englisch, oder Denglisch okay,

• So the company in the Netherlands wrote back promptly and here is their answer;

Hello Lucas,

These needles are produced to our specification,
    as you know a sapphire tip will last about 40 houres, which is very short,
    so, thats why we normaly sell only diamond tips for 33/45 rpm, they will last at least 10 times longer.

As you can see on the pictures, the 00073 SN/DS has a sapphire tip in front and a diamond tip on the back,
    both 0.6 Mil for 33/45 rpm records.

"stereo" is refered to as for playing 33/45 records, which are normaly stereo records,
    and not mono or 78 rpm records which need a stylus of 1.00 or 3.0 Mil instead of the 0.6 Mil "stereo" tip.
    it can be used in the mono cartridge off coarse (the cartridge makes the difference, not the needle)/

That pretty much answers my questions, so no need to post any further. Still I hope this will help somebody else who is also searching for the correct replacement for their PE10.
    Cheers
    Lucas

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.