New to the forum (with a 721)

• Hi all,

I decided to join this forum, as I have been given a 721 recently by a friend of mine.

He discovered it when tidying up his attic, and asked me if I could do something with it, as one of my hobbies is collecting and restoring vintage audio-equipment (with a special interest for Sansui of the early seventies, hence my user name!).

I now understand that the 721 is quite turntable! :D
    Would like to restore it in full working order, however ...

... the strobocope lamp does not seem to work. I already tried cleaning it, but no luck :(

I have to admit that I've never seen a lamp like this before, do you know where to order a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Sansui58 (Netherlands)

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

i can read german perfectly well, but like to write in english ...
    Amplifiers: Sansui AU-222, AU-555, AU-555A, AU-777 Tuners: Sansui TU-555, TU-666, TU-777 Turntables: Dual 721, Thorens TD110, Sansui SR-212, SR-222
    Decks: Nakamichi 600II, TEAC A-3440 Loudspeakers: Hepta Expression, Midget and Tweety

• Hi,

try to spin the lamp from left to right, sometimes it works. If this doesn´t work contact the member "dualfred" here in the dual-board, he has many spareparts and he is producing those lamps.

Olli

Darf ich denn nur immer müssen wenn du es willst! (Pumuckl)

• Hi !

he has many spareparts and he is producing those lamps.

However: not those lamps but 1:1 LED replacements, which have a by far extended lifetime than those neon lamps.

Peter aus dem Lipperland

Solo mio, vendro unscrupuloso, custombres sansaclu.

• Yes, of course, the lamps are LED-lamps not the original neon-lamps. But you can choose the colour: orange, green or blue. I´m using a blue lamp in my 721, the light is not so bright as the original lamp but it´s enough to watch the strobo :thumbup:.

Olli

• Hi All,

Thanks for your answers so far!
    Sorry for not writing in german, but I can read it very well! So no need to answer me in english, if you prefer german.
    What is the best way to contact "dualfred", senfd him a personal message?

Greetings,
    Sansui58

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

Amplifiers: Sansui AU-222, AU-555, AU-555A, AU-777 Tuners: Sansui TU-555, TU-666, TU-777 Turntables: Dual 721, Thorens TD110, Sansui SR-212, SR-222
    Decks: Nakamichi 600II, TEAC A-3440 Loudspeakers: Hepta Expression, Midget and Tweety

• Ok, dann in deutsch. Einfach eine PN schreiben, er gibt dir dann weitere Kontaktdaten bekannt.

Gruß Olli

• Vielen Dank! :)
    Will do.

Greetings,
    Sansui58

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

• Hello Sansui58,

I replaced the strobo-bulb in my 701 just a few weeks ago with one of DUALFRED's
    orange LED-replacements and it works like a champ. More than bright enough and
    easy to read the strobo-markings. Send him a private message ("PN") to get info on
    availability & price etc.

Regards,

Gereon

Gereon Ostermann
    2x DUAL 704, 1x DUAL 701, 1x TelefunkenTS 950

• All,

Already got an answer on my PN to Dualfred!
    Einfach Spitzenklasse! (hope this is proper german)

Ordered two orange one's (so I have a spare, just in case ...)

Will post an update once I installed the replacement.

Really appreciate all your help, and with such a tremendous speed!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
    Sansui58

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

• The dust cover (Staubhaube) of the 721 is beyond repair, cracked over the full depth on top ...
    Will dustcovers from other models fit on the 721?
    If so, what models to look for?
    Thanks!

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

• Hi Kipfel,

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

• Hallo,

orange? Ja, klar ... Oranje boven..... :D

Peter

Die Leute blicken immer so verächtlich auf vergangene Zeiten, weil die dies und jenes ›noch‹ nicht besaßen, was wir heute besitzen.
    Es ist nicht nur vieles hinzugekommen. Es ist auch vieles verloren gegangen, im guten und im bösen. Die von damals hatten vieles noch nicht. Aber wir haben vieles nicht mehr.
    (Tucholsky)

• Hallo,

orange? Ja, klar ... Oranje boven..... :D

Peter

Got me!
    However not exactly the reason, have been told the orange version resembles the original strobo lighting most ... :)

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

• hallo,

ich habe hier noch ein intaktes "dustcover" (orginal 721) übrig - völlig ohne risse und ich kann fast keine wischspuren erkennen. bis auf die spuren der scharniere würde ich es als beinahe neuwertig bezeichnen.

bei interesse pn...

grüssle henner

Musik??? ...ist das nicht das Geräusch, das aus den Lautsprechern kommt, wenn ich meine Anlage teste?

• Hello all,

Received the replacement strobo this week from Dualfred (a big thanks to him! :thumbup: )
    It is working fine, the strobo now has a nice orange lighting.

Still awaiting a replacement needle for the Shure V15 III cartridge, and once received the 721 is ready to roll ...

I ordered the needle from Ebay see http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAP…TRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_922

It should be very close to the original Shure replacement needle according to http://www.edsaunders.com/shurereviewebay.htm.

Does anyone of you experiences with this needle already?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

• Indeed not very good news ;(

However, it did not cost me a fortune and I'm still optimistic.
    Will let you know my experiences shortly ...

(to be continued)

Kind Regards,
    Sansui58

• Today I received the replacement. :thumbup:

It fits nicely in the Shure V15 III cartridge, and I was surprised by the good sound quality despite the negative review by some of you (maybe I was just lucky with this one :) )

I played a record that has good quality and dynamics, "Communiqué" from Dire Straits and it sure gave my Hepta speakers something to chew on! Very solid bass, and crisp high, also mid-level very present. Tone control on the AU-777 amp can be defeated.

Anyway, here are some pictures of my new Dual baby. It will replace my Thorens TD110 for sure, as the Dual outclasses the Thorens in all aspects. :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!
Nach der Registrierung können Sie aktiv am Forenleben teilnehmen und erhalten Zugriff auf weitere Bereiche des Forums.